Follow @BelleMorteBlog

Monday, 25 February 2013

Vidal Sassoon Hydra-Gloss Hair Straighteners - Review

In my eternal quest for enviable long and luscious locks I've recently been trying out the Vidal Sassoon Hydra-Gloss Hair Straighteners.

What really intrigued me about these hair straighteners is the fact that it features optional ionic technology which promises to eliminate frizz and leave you with shiny and nourished hair. Sounds good, right? Read on to see how I got on with these.


Ok, so first things first - Price. With Vidal Sassoon being the household name it is and one of the iconic brands within the hair world, I was expecting these to be fairly pricey. It was with great pleasure and delight that I found out the Hydra-Gloss Hair Straighteners can be purchased for just €33.99 from Argos (or just £24.99 in the UK) so from the outset this appeared to be an unbelievable bargain, but would it live up to the claims?

"Gives you a sleek polished look everyday. With ceramic plates for even heat distribution and variable heat settings from 130 - 230°C you can choose the heat settting thats best for your hair. The swivel cord and plate lock function offer ultimate ease of use and storage.

For ultimate glossy results this straightener features an ionic port to help eliminate frizz. With auto shut off you are always in control."
First impressions of this straightener were really good - I personally really like the two-tone colour of decadent purple set off with brilliant white.





 The straighteners feature a digital LCD so you can easily see what temperature your straighteners are set to. I loved this feature as with some previous flat irons I've owned, the temperature setting would be on a fiddly dial that could either be hard to read or you could inadvertently end up sliding the dial up or down without realising it. The LCD is also illuminated, meaning it's crystal clear to read in dim light conditions, so you're always sure to know exactly what setting your straighteners are set to.


Another feature which I really liked is the lock on the hinge which clicks the two floating plates into place and locks them there. I get a bit paranoid when using straighteners to ensure they're not left on any surface which can burn or scorch and having the ability to lock the straighteners into place is an absolute godsend.


The straighteners come with a salon style - 1.8m swivel cord - so there's definitely adequate length on the lead for home use and the swivel cord ensures you won't get the lead tangled when doing the back parts of your hair. Big thumbs up there.

There are 9 digitally controlled heat settings ranging from 150 - 230° C and I have to say that the heat up time is incredible - much faster than my GHD's!


Sleek, shiny hair can be achieved at the simple push of a button. Once switched on, the LCD display on the Vidal Sassoon Hydra Gloss Straightener will flash red for a few seconds until the desired temperature has been reached. Though the factory default is set at 190°C, this can be adjusted using the temperature controls, with 9 settings, which increase/decrease by 10°C increments. Another single push of a button, allows you to instantly heat the Hydra Gloss Straightener to a max 230°C heat.

I've been using the Hydra-Gloss straighteners at the recommended setting of 190°C and I have to say that this has been perfect for my hair. I have below shoulder length hair which is fairly straight, but I do get some waves and kinks, especially if it's been tied up for awhile, but the Hydra-Gloss straighteners simply glide through my hair leaving it with a salon-quality blow-dry straight finish - super straight, shiny and glossy.

One feature which I have to mention is the Safety Shut Off. After 60 minutes of non-use the straighteners automatically shut off. This is an ingenious safety feature and really should be on all straighteners. I'm sure we've all been there - you've spent ages doing your hair and makeup for a night out, you get to the venue and then comes the "Oh dear, did I remember to turn off my straighteners before I left the house?" scenario. With the safety shut off, you can rest safe assured knowing that if you did inadvertently leave your straighteners turned on in your haste to get out the door that they will turn themselves off after 60 minutes. Phew!

Now onto the "Optional Ionic Technology" which I was really intrigued by.

The ionic port injects negative ions into the hair, locking in natural moisture and eliminating frizz. The end result is more manageable hair, and impossibly straight locks, without the hefty price tag.

I've been using these straighteners in combination with Macadamia Healing Oil Treatment (Review here) and using the ionic port and I have to say that I don't think my hair has ever been in better condition. I had a disaster of a dye-job done last year - long story short, but I went into the salon looking for hot pink dip-dyed ends and came out with orange/ginger bleach balyage all through my hair and the bleaching didn't do it any favours! However, my hair is really starting to look it's best once again and it looks seriously healthy, shiny, glossy and manageable once I've gone through it with the Hydra-Gloss straighteners. I don't straighten my hair every day, but when I do with these my hair literally looks like I've had a salon quality blow-dry, so I've been really impressed with these.


When I first got these straighteners, given the low price tag, I had it in my mind to set out this review with the intention of NOT comparing these to GHD's or other expensive brands, however since I've been using these I was far more impressed than I thought I would be, so much so that I've actually been using these as my main straighteners now and my GHD's are sadly gathering dust in the bottom of a drawer.

Now, whilst I'm extremely happy with the Hydra-Gloss straighteners, especially for the bargaintastic price, there is one niggle I have with them. The control panel where the LCD is and were the control buttons are located feels a little bit plastic and cheap. The buttons feel a bit flimsy and I do wonder whether they will last as long as the rest of the unit. Whilst writing this review I was looking for cons and drawbacks to this products and after racking my brains, this is the only gripe I can find. However, I should mention that this product comes with a 2 year guarantee which is a lot more generous than what other manufacturers currently offer so again. Other than that, I can't find any fault with the Vidal Sassoon Hydra-Gloss Straighteners. I think you'll be hard pushed to find any comparatively hard working straighteners at a similar price tag so this gets an A+ from me!



You can find the Vidal Sassoon Hydra-Gloss Straighteners from:

Argos ( €33.99 / £24.99)
Boots
Superdrug 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...