Follow @BelleMorteBlog

Thursday, 29 August 2013

Tutorial DIY: How To Fix Broken Eyeshadows

It's happened to the best of us at some stage or another, you're in a rush and you drop your favourite blusher / eyeshadow / powder product and BAM! it's in smithereens. Cue a glistening of the eyes as your tear ducts well up thinking of how sad it is having to say farewell to your holy grail product, but fear not, for there is a solution! :D


Being the clever girl that I am, I recently broke one of my favourite highlighting / all round fab eye base shades (Read: MUD - Bone) whilst in the middle of a spot of Makeup storage re-organizing and jiggledy piggledy. Yeah, I'm not quite sure what that means either...

Anyways, onto the carnage:



Yup as you can see, this baby was pretty much totaled. I just couldn't bring myself to throw it away however, so I've created what is a hopefully simple and fuss-free guide to show you how to mend your broken powder products.


I used a paper clip to further break up the shadow left in the pan into finer pieces. You could also use a toothpick (clean, of course!) safety pin, cocktail stick or even the back of a spoon.


I'm using 99% Isopropyl Alcohol as I like to keep my kit squeaky clean and sanitised at all times. You could also use a 70% rubbing alcohol for this task however. Your local chemist should have this in stock and it only costs a few euro. Tip: It's also FAB for cleaning your Makeup Brushes with.



Reminds me a bit of an Apple Pie here for some reason...

At this stage, the paste in your pan should be of a thick viscosity and have a sponge/rubber like texture to it. Think of custard and you're on the right track! Hmmm, why do I keep mentioning food products.. Must be hungry!



I've decanted some 99% Iso Alcohol into a spray bottle for ease of use and handiness. This also makes spot cleaning your brushes a cinch!

Make sure you thoroughly disinfect the coin / object you'll be using to flatten and compact the product in your pan before use as you do not want germs and bacteria transferring onto your makeup.



Keep pressing down firmly on your pan in order to compact and compress the paste into a solid state. This action will also remove any air bubbles and excess alcohol in the concoction.


Leave the finished product overnight for the alcohol to evaporate and for the product to settle and harden.

Voila! You now have one, almost as good as new powder product back to it's original condition. Yay! :D

I hope that this quick tutorial will come in handy for you someday should you succumb to the peril that is breaking your beloved eyeshadow. This method also works for blushers, and well, any pressed powders in general.

I'd love to hear if you've ever tried to rescue a beloved product before that was smashed beyond all recognition and how did the results turn out? Let me know in the comments below. :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...