Follow @BelleMorteBlog

Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Best of the High Street Foundations for Paler Skins - Revlon, Maybelline & Rimmel


I have fairly typical Irish skin and I'm definitely on the whiter shade of pale end of the colour spectrum, so foundation shopping can be a bit of a chore to say the least. Higher end brands like MAC and Illamasqua have a great selection of shades on offer all the way from ivory to ebony, but for the times you don't want to splash the cash and just want to pick up a low-mid priced new base from your local pharmacy the choice can, unfortunately be a lot more limited, with shades often leaning towards Oompa Loompa territory.

So after a quick raid in Boots I've snapped up some samples of the lightest shades of some of the most popular drugstore foundations currently found on stands. I know personally when choosing a new foundation, I find online swatches a godsend when trying to narrow down options and hopefully make up my mind before I hit the shops. Onwards with the swatching!


1 = Maybelline Fit Me Foundation in 115
2 = Maybelline Fit Me Foundation in 120
3 = Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation in Ivory
4 = Revlon Photoready in Vanilla

Heavily Swatched:


Initial thoughts: The Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation in Ivory doesn't look particularly pale and leans towards the pink/peach side. Same for the Maybelline Fit Me in 115.


Swatches Blended:



The Revlon Photoready foundation in Vanilla is by far the most neutral toned shade on my skin. For reference I am a NC10-15 with neutral to yellow tones.

I didn't think that there would be quite such a shade difference between the Maybelline Fit Me shades in 115 and 120 - as you can see they're completely different tones with 115 leaning on the pink side whilst the 120 has much deeper caramel tones.

Blended into skin:


Hurrah, the Revlon Photoready in Vanilla is a perfect match! 
Note: the skin on the underside of my arm is slightly paler than my face, but trust me when I say it's perfect.
You probably can't see it in the photos, but there's a slight shimmer to the Photoready offering - don't worry, it's not discoball glitter, but it does create a nice glow to the skin and helps to reflect light.

The Maybelline Fit Me in 115 would suffice also and I quite like the gel formulation - it leaves the skin lovely and dewy which I love. Long lasting matte formulas are my nemesis!

I definitely won't be reaching for the Maybelline Fit Me in 120, however I'll hang onto it for my kit.

I may try adding some of Illamasqua's Skin Base in White to the Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation in Ivory to see if I can make it work as I quite like the formula.

They're not a bad bunch of bases at all, I'm definitely loving Revlon's offering on this occasion. I hope the high street cosmetics companies will eventually start catering for a wider variety of skintones someday in the future. Til then, at least I always have my Illamasqua Skin Base in white to create the perfect mix.

I hope some of you guys found this helpful as I know how soul destroying it can be trying to find your match in the makeup department.

Have you tried any of these foundations? Are they staples in your makeup kit?
Got any other brands you'd recommend? Please let me know, I love to hear about everyone's adventures in the world of foundation shopping in that quest to find the ever elusive holy grail! ;)

Thanks! x




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...